help in houston

Old 11-30-04, 12:32 PM
Sean H
Visiting Guest
Unhappy help in houston

Hi. I'm a first timer (to the website and laminate floors) so any help would be great.

I recently replaced capret-with laminate, and linolium - with the same laminate floor on top of it. This floor covers one large area, ~650 sq ft. It is 50% living room, 25% kitchen, and 25 % dining room.

This laminate floor was purchased from Lumber Liquidators, their "good" stuuf. The floor has a pre-attached foam pad to the board. It was installed professionally (I trust these guys- as they have done tile work for me in the past.

Everything looks great except, in a few places the floor feels spongy when you put wieght on it. In one high traficc area you need to really press down to see the effect- I'm ~200lbs, but it still concerns me. Another out of the area -is really easy to feel.

Prior to installation, I let the floor sit in our house for 72 hrs. Also, these spongy spots are in areas that appear to level, using a 6 ft level. Should there be some give to the floor? should I get this fixed - looked at?

Thank you,

Sean

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 11:45 AM
Knight4God
Visiting Guest
I'm no expert but it sounds like the floor wasn't made flat with leveling mix.Sounds like that spongy area is a dip in the slab.

Old 12-03-04, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, the substrate is out of flatness specifications.

Warranty ...VOID

Old 12-06-04, 07:17 AM
Sean H
Visiting Guest
What is FLATNESS. I was told it is not the same as level??????

Old 12-06-04, 09:09 AM
Knight4God
Visiting Guest
I think FLAT means that there are no valleys or crests,in other words,smooth.

Old 12-07-04, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flatness as in a flat plane. No high and no low spots. Although usually vertical, a glass window pane is flat.

Level is flat but also level with the earths surface. Which is great but not really needed unless the grade is so steep the floor always moves that direction.

Old 12-09-04, 05:03 PM
woodflooristcom
Visiting Guest
Cool Glue together or snap together?

It sounds like the subfloor has voids under it. If this is snap together laminate you can usually unsnap them in the reverse order they were installed, fix the problem and resnap them back in place.

One of the best ways to find problems with the subfloor before installing is to roll a straight peice of pipe over the floor with a light on oneside and someone watching on the other.

If this is a glue together taking it back up is near impossible without trashing the flooring.

Franklyn

Old 12-10-04, 09:10 AM
Sean H
Visiting Guest
It is snap together floor.

That is a great idea.

Sean