Hardwood Replacement Questions

Old 01-17-05, 04:33 PM
Flypond
Visiting Guest
Hardwood Replacement Questions

OK Folks, I have just finished taking out the old 2" wide, 3/8" thick oak strip flooring and I have a couple of questions before I continue. I am replacing the floor with 3/4" Antique Plank (S4S). My joists are 2x8 with 16" centers and I have placed sister joists every other one. My subfloor is 1x6 planks running perpendicular to the joists. My original floor ran perpendicular to the subfloor planks and that is how I would like to install the new floor. However, I am getting mixed signals. I am told that the new floors need to run perpendicular to the joists and I am also told that the new flooring needs to run perpendicular to the subfloor planks. Will I be OK laying the hardwood paralell to the joists since that is the way my old floors were?? Hope this all makes sense. I am also getting ready to drill 2" deck screws into all the plank subfloor to get rid of the squeaks. I will be face nailing the floor with 2" 7d cut nails. Thanks in advance for your help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hardwood flooring needs to be laid perpendicular to the joists. The joists support the weight of the floor. For solid 3/4" hardwood flooring installation instructions go to the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's website at www.nofma.org

Old 01-17-05, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This one of those cases where plywood over the 1x6, on a 45 is the best route. Usually the 1x6 slats are on a 45, and you would run the flooring across the joists, not with them.

Since you have beefed things up, you may get it to work like you want it to, because if your going to lay the floor, lay it perpendicular to the 1x6 slats boards(opposite direction)