How to level plywood sub-floor?

Old 01-28-05, 03:30 PM
Kray
Visiting Guest
How to level plywood sub-floor?

(Apologies if this turns out to be a duplicate question. I tried to post once already but it doesn't seem to show up on the board.)

I will be installing Bruce Hardwood flooring on a plywood sub-floor that sags a little in one area - not more than a 1/4 inch - just enough to notice when you walk on it. I would like to know what my options are for leveling this floor. I have worked with cement-based leveling compounds before but don't know if that is a good idea here as I need to use something that will accept nails or staples when hardwood is installed. I can go under the house and see if I can raise the level of the joist, with a shim possibly, but would like to know if there is a leveling compound (that accepts nails) that I could use instead? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Build the low spot up with layers of rosin paper or roofing felt. If it is deeper then you thought, oll roofing works.

Or you can break out the sander and sand down the high spot.

Old 01-31-05, 06:02 AM
TheHammer
Visiting Guest
I am going through this myself, I just lifted the plywood and put roofing tiles over the 2x10's to level off and then screw the ply back down.......

I also need to insulate some of the floor anyway.

Old 08-06-13, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a bathroom apx 8' by 8'. I am installing an handycap shower for my wife! The floor has to be level. I am off 1/4 inch in six feet. What is the best way to level it?