jagged peaks on my wood floors????

Old 02-16-05, 07:30 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question jagged peaks on my wood floors????

hello all,

i am a newbie here so sorry for my first post to be a question but i need some help.

i am refinishing the floors in my new house. it was very humid the day i put the first two coats on (monday). according to some threads i found on this board i may have not let the first coat dry long enough. the directions said to wait 3-4 hours. i waited about 8 hours before i started on the second coat, but i guess the humidity was worse than i thought. when i showed back up at the house yesterday i noticed the floor feels like sand paper. What can i do to fix this? Will another two coats properly applied cover the roughness? or does this have to be sanded down? and if so, how do i sand it?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-17-05, 04:37 PM
Thumbs down

UHHHH....

Did anyone tell you you need to sand between coats of finish?

Time to sand it all back off and start over!

After the first coat, check with a noninvasive moisture meter to make sure the finish is dry(waterbased) Then hardplate the floor and apply your second coat and do the exact same thing for the third coat.

Humidity has got to be in check, or you will be sanding it all back off again.

Old 02-17-05, 06:18 PM
C
that's the really nice part about this. I bought the pro finish polyurethane by parks. the container specifically states that it is NOT necessary to sand in between the first two coats. i know now that i should have done it. it is bothersome knowing that the manufacturer it suggesting to not do it.

Old 02-18-05, 12:58 AM
K
The blips, by-the-way, are from dust. If you've done any power sanding this invisible stuff will be all over and will continue settling for days. Vacuum - gently, mind the wheels. Open the doors and windows and make "dust" another verb. Sweep the ceiling - no kidding. Wipe the floor with a slightly damp cloth.

No need to sand it all back off and start over, IMO, but yes sanding between coats is a must. I think the manufacturer appeals to hurry (a selling point). The finish must cure hard before you can sand it.

If you have the time, a slow curing polyurethane will stay viscous on the floor long enough you can spread it and then go over it with a soft brush (and a toothpick for lifting hairs and blips), also sections blend easily because they don't gel very quickly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: