More Subfloor ?????

Old 03-05-05, 08:49 AM
Comcast Tim
Visiting Guest
Question More Subfloor ?????

I just finished installing 250 SF of Harmonics Laminate in the dining room and it went very well. I do alot of DIY projects and ask alot of questions before starting.
I am also going to be installing into the Kitchen. The dining room HAD carpet and the Kitchen, Linoleum. The subfloor of the dining area was fine and no issues. The Kitchen, however appears to have a 3/8" to 1/2" layer of "particle board" sheets over the subfloor. It looks to be there solely to raise the height of the linoleum to the old carpet. If I remove the linoleum (which I plan to do), I will still have a 3/8" to 1/2" height difference as I transition from the dining area to the Kitchen.
I am sure the pro's have experienced this before. What is the "norm"? Install over the particle board and deal with the height difference with a transition piece? Or remove the particle board also to maintain the height level with the dining room?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-05-05, 03:44 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm no pro, but I would say remove the particle board. What you are probably seeing is particle or OSB board that was used as an underlayment to provide a solid tight surface for glueing the linoleum vs the plywood subfloor. If you do remove it, be sure the subfloor is solid and level. Ideally had you known of the difference up front, you could have installed the underlayment in the dining area to bring it up to the kitchen, but I don't see removing the existing underlayment being a problem. I just bought a house with laminate flooring throughout the kitchen and family room. There is a transition as you are describing between the 2 rooms where you can see that the kitchen had the linoleum and the family room had the carpet. Although it looks ok with the transition down, it would look much better if it were level throughout.

Old 03-05-05, 05:25 PM
Glenwood
Visiting Guest
subfloor

Yes, get rid of the subfloor. It may be stapled or it maybe stapled and glued.
Sometimes you can build up the other area to match, but most of the time it is faster and cheaper to tear up the subfloor.

Very simple project, but can be a son of a gun if it is glued down. Just get your favorite hammer and pry bar and start tearing up. We use a air chisel when we tear up, but it is not necessary. Creates on heck of a dust storm.

The only area of concern is if the particle board goes underneath your cabinets. They do make a toe kick saw that you can rent (basically cuts the floor at the toe kick). If you use one, be very careful because the blade can easily damage the cabinets. Otherwise, buya air chisel (less than $20). Then you can attack the toe kick with the chisel and makes short work of it.

good luck.

Old 03-05-05, 07:08 PM
Comcast Tim
Visiting Guest
Smile

I was leaning toward tearing the particle board up, but I just needed some confirmation (a gentle push). Thanks for the toe kick saw/air chisel suggestions. I was concerned about the particle board extending under the cabinets and how to cut it if it was. I have a good air compressor to drive the air chisel but hopefully I won't need it.
I'll post how it goes. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: