Problem with glueless laminate under base cabinets?

Old 03-13-05, 10:17 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with glueless laminate under base cabinets?

I am remodelling my kitchen and putting all new cabinets, counters, sink, etc..
I am using a wall oven and cooktop, so the only major things sitting on top of the laminate flooring will be the refrigerator, dishwasher, and base cabinets.... is this a problem?
I have to rip up the old floor and do some alot of leveling to it, and will probably end up adding a thin 1/4" or so layer of plywood over it all. My plan was then to put laminate over the entire empty kitchen and then cabinets and everything else on top of it so it is all at the same height.
Is it going to be much better to run the laminate up to the cabinets instead of under them?

Also, I am looking at the Alloc Classics series of laminate floors... I would like to stay under $3.00/square foot... is there a different company you would recommend with a good very light maple finish?

Thanks for the help, and as I learn and complete my kitchen I will help others out as much as I can as well.

Thanks again,
Pete

Old 03-14-05, 03:27 AM
J
Pete,

Do not install base cabinets over a floating laminate floor. Not only will it void you warranty it will likely pose problems for you later on.

Base cabinets are secured to the studs as I am sure you know. But you also have to shim underneath to firm everything up so your doors don't rack. When you use a standard wedge shim it would cause a lock between the shim and the laminate. As the floor tries to move under it is also trying to raise the cabinet at the same time.

Best to install the laminate after the cabinets are in place.

Old 03-14-05, 06:42 AM
G
Thanks Jerry T, that makes perfect sense and is the conclusion I was arriving at the more I learn about laminate.

How about the Alloc Classics laminate product?
I have heard about plastic core laminates, are those much more expensive and what are a few examples if they aren't?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: