Kronotex or Lamton Laminate Floors

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-05, 02:13 AM
ferdinan11
Visiting Guest
Kronotex or Lamton Laminate Floors

Hello everyone,

I'd like to know if anyone has had any bad/good experience with Kronotex or Lamton laminate floors. I am planning to replace the carpet in my house with laminated floors, one of the reasons I'd like to get either one of those brands is due to the relatively the low price per square feet but I am willing to spend more if I have to as long as I get a product that will last for some good time. Any feedback or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Fernando

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-05, 10:27 AM
Stay posted. I am installing 1450sq' of Kronotex this weekend in my basement over concrete. Currently, I am preparing the floor (leveling/moisture barrier/underlayment)...Let you know how it goes...

Old 03-24-05, 12:38 PM
starfire1
Visiting Guest
Question wondering about kronoswiss & balta vs other brands

I stumbled across website for kronoswiss & balta laminate floors. Sounded good. Can get cheaper I'm sure, but wondered if anyone had used them and if they really are superior as advertised on site. Supposed to be higher quality, thicker grade and locking system superior. Let me know. Also, I am settling for laminate because real hardwood is too expensive and can't deal with moving out to get it done. Anyone have any other solutions, are is laminate my best option considering my restrictions?

Thanks!

Old 03-25-05, 05:19 AM
KDCanDoIt
Visiting Guest
Smile Kronoswiss

I am in the process of installing KronoSwiss. I am very impressed with the look, feel and ease of installation of the product. I think I know the web site you speak of and he's kinda high. I happen to find the same product fairly local to me, for a whole lot less, since I'm a touchy feely kind of person.

I searched for months before I finally settled on this brand and at a cost I was willing to pay. As some of the notes say in here - be careful of the brands made in Poland (Kronopol) and China. It is stamped on the back where they were made. You want to get the Switzerland made version.

I could go on and on - but won't. If you email me, I'll be happy to provide any additional feed back. I could also send you a picture as well.

Good Luck
/kd

Old 03-26-05, 04:21 AM
starfire1
Visiting Guest
KD

Thanks for responding. I'm glad to know there's something cheaper, but as good as what's offered on that website. Where did you get your krono product? How much area are you covering? I'd love to see pictures.

Thanks again. Good luck with your job.

Starfire 1

Old 03-30-05, 07:24 AM
Well, thought I would stop in a give an update. I started my basement floor project by priming the floor. I got the primer at HD and a couple of bags of floor levelor. I spent one day priming. Let it dry, then the next day I mixed up the levelor. I followed the mix directions exactly, but have to say both mixes to me seemed a different consistancy. The first mix was pourable but felt like it had more hydrolic properties. It did level itself to some extent, but I did go ahead and trowel it a bit and feathered the edges. The 2nd batch appeared a bit thinner but self leveled much quicker. I would say if your spot is deep a little on the thicker side might be beneficial. If it is minor like a lot of mine then the thinner mix really seemed to go faster but took as long to dry. They both turned out well. The level doesn't lie. If you need to the bag says additional coats could be put on up to 1" thick. I then laid the 2n1 moisture barrier underlayment (HD). Taped it together then began laying the Kronotex flooring. I am about half way done but have to say I am impressed with the finish and the seam are very difficult to see. This product (in my opinion) looks much more realistic than Pergo. My only complaint is that it is touchy putting it in. I spent about 6 hrs on it Monday and was a bit frustrated. I wish I had a 3rd hand. But yesterday I found a technique and it has gone much quicker. (plus I am picky). I found while installing that once the front lip and the end of the lip are clicked in place, if you slid your hand under the center and push up slightly while tilting the piece down, the majority of the panel will be in. I would leave about an 1" from the next piece then tap it in place. While tapping sideways the piece would click in place(this is evident when the piece lays flat on its own.) Then just make sure it is snug. With this method I have yet to damage a piece. Before, I admit, I would relie a little too much on the tapping block to try to hit it in place. The edges are strong, but too much will ruin them or maybe accidentally clip the edge. I did more yesterday after work than the previous 2 days. I feel much better about finishing. So far the floor looks awesome. Keep ya posted.

Old 04-26-05, 02:37 AM
Hey Bop_Pa, di you get finished with your Kronotex floor?

I'm looking at purchasing some of it (@ $0.89/ft) and wanted to hear your thoughts before I spend the $$$.

Old 05-04-05, 09:48 AM
Yes, I did finish my flooring project. Check out my posting titled "Basement Flooring Project Update." I gave my overview of the project from the novice view point. I found the forum helpful with some of my questions. I did not mention this but I found my chop saw and father in laws table saw to be helpful. I have dealt with laminate counter tops in the past and found the flooring chips less when cutting than with actual counter tops. So that was good. Check out the post. Hope it is helpful. Goodluck.

Old 05-14-05, 01:17 PM
Mortis
Visiting Guest
Could You place a link to your post bob_pa? I am having a dany old time trying to find it. The boards will not allow me to view all post under your user name.

########EDIT#########
Never mind. I found it. For any one else who happens on this post and wants to view the update post.
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=207454
Thaks again bob_pa for taking the time to update us on your project.

Old 05-25-05, 10:11 AM
Thanks. Good luck with your project floor.

Old 09-29-10, 09:42 AM
Does anyone have comments on the quality and durability of Krono Original products...or less specific, any Krono product. The kind im looking at is 8mm, for high traffic use, etc but im skeptical about how well the locking works and if it chips easily.
Thanks!

Old 10-05-10, 06:11 AM
Kronotec is good product. its manufactured by armstrong. i work with hundreds of laminate flooring products and i havent heard any negativity on it. Where did you get the floors from? remember before you install it it needs to be in house at least 24-48 hours to climatize to room temperature. The locking sysytem varies with each product. the common problem with installing a laminate is you can actually break the locking system when you install it by chiping it or hitting it too hard. usually the cheaper the warranty of the laminate the weaker the locking system is. i hope you floor turns out nicely.

Closed Thread