Anyone ever heard of EZ Plank hardwood floors

Old 03-27-05, 07:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever heard of EZ Plank hardwood floors

I recently came across a product in Canada (Quebec) at Reno Depot (Building Box in English). They are strips of 3/4 hardwood floor all the same length, but the tongue and groove actually lock together. It is meant to float over a foam pad. The company is called EZ Plank (not to be confused with the Pergo laminate of the same name. It was selling for $3.98 Cdn/sq ft. The wood looked good, but I wasn't sure about the locking joint. It came in golden oak and gunstock oak. I can't find anything about it on the net.

Anyone ever heard of this? Any feedback?

Thanks.

Old 04-08-05, 06:56 AM
mcken
Visiting Guest
EZ Plank

I am familiar with the product you are referring to, however, I am unable to offer much additional information. The only information I have is the literature contained with the product. I attempted to access the website (www.ezplank.com) to no avail. In addition, I tried to gather information via Jon Eakes' website (since he is depicted on the box, etc...). Regardless, I decided to take a chance and purchase 32 boxes of the product (from Reno Depot) for installation in my basement. One recommendation I would make is to use a product like Delta FL as a moisture barrier/air gap rather than relying on a 2-3 mm vapour barrier (assuming you are using is in a below grade application).

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of my installation and the performance of the product.

Old 04-19-05, 04:59 AM
XR4Ti
Visiting Guest
Just wondering how you guys made out. I too have been looking at this flooring but have yet to buy 'til I get more info on it. The website still isn't working.

Are there any restrictions on the length/width of run before you need an expansion joint?

In the store I noticed it seems to click together (too) easily.

What makes this product different than a traditional wood floor (other than that they put a clickable joint in for the T&G?

Old 04-22-05, 02:39 AM
XR4Ti
Visiting Guest
So I picked up a sample of this flooring and here are my comments on its construction.

It is indeed all oak, but it is not solid oak. When looking at a cross-section, you can tell it is made up of 4 strips laminated together, the laminations stacked vertically (as opposed to horizontally on say, an engineered hw floor). Each strip is nominally 1" wide x 9/16" high, the outer 2 not as wide as they have the clickable T&G routed into it, for a total board width of 3.25". No idea if the laminated strips run the length of each board as a continous piece. On both the top and bottom is approx 1/32" oak veneer.

As mentioned earlier, most sides are finish coated though I noticed the bottom of the tongue and the groove itself are not, presumably to facilitate clicking.

I guess the fact that top and bottom are finished, plus the fact that the main core is made up of laminated strips, is why it is declared suitable for below grade installs.

But with such a thin veneer on top, don't count on it being sandable except for a buff and coat.

If anyone else has used this floor, don't hesitate to offer your comments/opinions -- I'd like to hear some before installing.

Old 05-10-05, 12:41 PM
XR4Ti
Visiting Guest
Just checking back to this group to see if any of you guys installed the EZ-plank flooring yet. I decided to pick up some (40 boxes -- what a pain carrying it all to the basement!). Then I read over all the instructions and noticed it says it is NOT recommended for below-grade applications. It then goes on to talk about a basement installation (I'm guessing their talking about walk-outs but I can't envision any basement that is not at least partially below-grade). But in going over the last page on warranties, it specifically states it does not warrant the product in below-grade applications.

And yet it states it is suitable for basements on the box.

The website still isn't up and my emails bounce to their email addr.

So far, I'm not impressed.

Originally Posted by mcken
I am familiar with the product you are referring to, however, I am unable to offer much additional information. The only information I have is the literature contained with the product. I attempted to access the website (www.ezplank.com) to no avail. In addition, I tried to gather information via Jon Eakes' website (since he is depicted on the box, etc...). Regardless, I decided to take a chance and purchase 32 boxes of the product (from Reno Depot) for installation in my basement. One recommendation I would make is to use a product like Delta FL as a moisture barrier/air gap rather than relying on a 2-3 mm vapour barrier (assuming you are using is in a below grade application).

I'll keep you posted on the outcome of my installation and the performance of the product.

Old 05-10-05, 04:38 PM
Personally, I won't install ANY wood or wood product flooring below grade. That is a failure waiting to happen.

If they have thier heart set on it, I get them to sign a liability release waiver, explaining I have advised them what will happen and they have agreed to assume the risk.

The winning % in Las Vegas is only 39% average. Do you like to gamble.

Old 08-21-07, 05:37 PM
M
EZ Plank flooring

Any further advice or feedback on the EZ Plank floating floors? I am considering putting it in for an entry way floor as well as the adjoining office (about 300 sq feet total). We have just about 2 1/4" between our existing (vinyl over conrete) floor and the bottom of the exterior door.

We are looking at the EZ Plank Maple floor...another alternative is putting in a plywood subfloor and installing hardwood over that. Worried about getting too close to the door clearances. The hardwood maple we are looking at costs the same as the EZ plank. The additional expense would be the plywood subfloor costs.

Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by XR4Ti
Just checking back to this group to see if any of you guys installed the EZ-plank flooring yet. I decided to pick up some (40 boxes -- what a pain carrying it all to the basement!). Then I read over all the instructions and noticed it says it is NOT recommended for below-grade applications. It then goes on to talk about a basement installation (I'm guessing their talking about walk-outs but I can't envision any basement that is not at least partially below-grade). But in going over the last page on warranties, it specifically states it does not warrant the product in below-grade applications.

And yet it states it is suitable for basements on the box.

The website still isn't up and my emails bounce to their email addr.

So far, I'm not impressed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: