Do I remove cabinets or not?

Old 04-04-05, 08:28 PM
jrod2
Visiting Guest
Do I remove cabinets or not?

I'm having new 3/4 inch hardwood floors installed and would like to know if it makes sense to have the existing cabinets removed for the installation of the new floor? I'm concerned that my dishwasher may get trapped for life if they install it only up to the front of the dishwasher.

Is this worth the trouble or do I just have them install the hardwood floors around the cabinets?

Thanks

JRod

Old 04-05-05, 04:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It is a lot of work to remove the cabinets. If you are up to the job then you could do it but it is just fine to leave the cabinets in. The only real advantage in my mind to pulling the cabinets is you won't have to have a quarter round put around the cabinet. The install will be easier if the cabinets are up too. Really, it is your choice in the matter.
Later
Bryan

Old 04-08-05, 02:25 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
the REALLY built-in appliances

You can minimize the height gain by ripping out old kitchen floor. A lot of work, but less than removing cabinets! What you need to do is cut through the old flooring as close as possible to the cabinets. I use an air powered cutoff tool from which I've removed the safety guard and installed a 4" carbide blade. This tool is quite dangerous to use and I can't officially recommend that you take your life in your hands that way, but the alternatives are a handsaw or a chisel, either of which would take about 10 years to cut around the perimeter of your kitchen.
-joe

Old 04-09-05, 04:58 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
If installing 3/4" solid hardwood it is possible to lock in appliances. Check to see if you can adjust the legs to raise the dishwasher and other appliances so that they can be removed after wood installation. It is best that appliances are not locked in. If locked in, it usually requires removal of countertop to get appliances out for replacement or repair. If you don't want to install hardwood under base cabinets, you can install 3/4" plywood.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: