can hardwood be installed over ceramic tile?

Old 04-11-05, 07:59 PM
jeanne4cats
Visiting Guest
Question can hardwood be installed over ceramic tile?

I just purchased a home that has ceramic tile in the entry hall (green) ugh! and wanted to replace it with hardwood flooring but didn't realize that it was actually tile until it was pointed out to me, I thought it was vinyl actually, but am I going to have to bust this up to install the wood or can it be installed over the tile? I don't want to have to pay to have it removed and it would be much easier to just cover it if possible. I am also having hardwood put in my kitchen but it has vinyl which will be easy to remove, so any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 04-12-05, 12:14 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
When you install solid hardwood, you need to be able to nail into 3/4" plywood or OSB. You can't nail through tile. It will have to be removed. Go to www.nofma.org for the National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's website for technical manual on hardwood installation.

Old 04-12-05, 06:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
An engineered wood floor, can be floated over the ceramic, as long as the tiles are solid and not loose and cracking.

If this is over concrete, it is possible to direct glue to the tiles, but only with an engineered.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: