Matching cabinet stain for use on floors

Old 04-14-05, 09:15 PM
Magpie
Visiting Guest
Question Matching cabinet stain for use on floors

I'm in the middle of a re-model in a log home. We have chosen cabinets made by Diamond. They are cherry with a coffee glaze. We would like to have our hardwood floors match the cabinet color.

Diamond says they use a warm toner and add black. My contractor wants us to choose a stain to match. Yikes! Any advice on what to do? We looked at Minwax and Olympic at Lowes but couldn't find a match.

Thank you.
Mags

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-05, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you are seeking a tone that matches that on cabinets, then you can take a door to a specialty paint shop that can match stain. If your cabinets are cherry wood with a coffee glaze on them, then it may be challenging to get an exact match if you are trying to achieve the same exact tone on a different wood species, say oak. Trying to match exactly may produce less than satisfactory results. Why not go with a wood species or stain that is perhaps a lighter, but complementary and slightly contrasting tone. Achieving a complementary contrast which sets off cabinets can produce some stunning results. Take some pieces of flooring to the paint shop to experiment.

Old 04-24-05, 08:35 AM
kecked
Visiting Guest
Think twice

Please don't be upset by this suggestion, but I would really consider not matching them exactly - go lighter or darker. It just generally does not look good when they match exactly - look in any home magazine there is always some contrast. Its your home though so if you are really sure then do what the other poster suggested to get the match.