Westhollow Brazilian Cherry hardwood

Old 04-19-05, 05:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Westhollow Brazilian Cherry hardwood (or maybe laminate)

It's a prefinished, solid wood product and I'm nearly convinced that this will be what I will be ordering soon for my new floors. Does anyone have any pros or cons on this type of floor? Any advice or tips before I get started would be great!

thanks!

Last edited by TroupB; 04-21-05 at 08:01 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 08:40 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Brazilian Cherry is a very hard and dense wood. It is photosensitive, which means that you wood you take out of the box will not look exactly like the sample you saw in the store because the new wood has not been exposed to light. After being exposed to light, you will be able to see it turn color. When it is fully oxidized, many of the boards will be almost blood red. Brazilian Cherry is a beautiful floor.

Old 04-19-05, 09:02 AM
T
The sample that I have is almost chocolate brown, though I know it is only a small sample and am counting on more of a rich reddish-brown with black striping that I have seen as I've researched different hardwoods. I've been waffling for quite a while as to whether I should go with hardwood or laminate. In the end, since I'm covering over 1000sqft of mostly open floor, I was really concerned that the laminate repeating designs would be noticeable. Of course, I also want something that won't look cheap or fake and that will add value to my home, in case I want to sell in 15-20 yrs. I hope I am making the right choice. I do have 2 small boys and they are rough and dirt magnets The floor will have to be something special to take the beating these fellas will give it over the years

Old 04-19-05, 09:16 AM
T
Considering my two rambunctious boys (5 and 3), how hard is maintenance and care for a hardwood. Would laminate be a better choice for a young, active family? And Perry said that you can bank on refinishing every 5-10 years. I didn't realize that or that it would cost $2-$4/ sqft to refinish it. That is a major consideration for me. Waffling again

Last edited by TroupB; 04-19-05 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-19-05, 01:24 PM
D
I typically don't see you needing a sand and recoat every 5 years. I would say after five years you'll probably need a buff and coat and that should be less than a buck a foot. Then at ten years depending on how worn it is you may or may not need a sand and recoat. You may just need another buff and coat. Normal wear and tear isn't a problem, it is the heavy deep scratches and gouges that need the sand job.
Remember, just because the laminate says it has a 25 year warranty doesn't mean it will look good for that long. Give it ten years and you'll probably want to get rid of the floor because it looks worn. Many laminates can't be refinished. I think the laminates need more cleaning, they always look dirty. Wood and laminate just needs to be cleaned regularly.
Now, prefinished solid wood. That will give you a great finish that will last ten or more years, then you can refinish it just like any other solid wood. It can even be buffed and coated if you wish. Just remember, the finishes applied on site are not the same as those applied at the factory. I would say you would be fine with any SOLID wood product. I just sanded and recoated a floor that was almost 150 years old. Now, it looks just like new. No laminate will last that long.
Good Luck
Bryan

Old 04-19-05, 04:06 PM
T
Thanks Duneslider. So many decisions involved in this major rennovation job that I'm undertaking. The floor is a major decision and I want to get it right and not regret it in 5-10 yrs. I want a beautiful floor, but I also want to make a wise decision financially.

Old 04-20-05, 02:03 AM
D
Call around and see what people charge for a buff and recoat. I know we have done that for under 50 cents a foot. There isn't that much involved in a quick buff and coat.
Later
Bryan

Old 04-20-05, 07:21 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
For wood floor care and maintenance go to http://www.nofma.org/careguide.htm

Old 04-21-05, 08:03 AM
T
Please, anyone with experience, I would appreciate your advice on the best decision for an active family.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: