duraceramic

Old 04-19-05, 06:57 PM
onie
Visiting Guest
duraceramic

Has anyone installed duraceramic ? I'm planning to put it in the laundry room. Is it difficult to install ?

Old 04-20-05, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The substrate needs to be flat and smooth.

Old 04-20-05, 01:11 PM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installation instructions can be found at http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...allation&hl=en

I believe this product can be installed with or without grout. As indicated, subfloor prep is extremely important for successful installation.

You do not indicate what type of floor covering is down now. Follow manufacturer's recommendations for recommended subfloor and subfloor prep. The tile is a mixture of limestone and polymer. Manufacturer has its own very specific installation instructions.

You will need to use a chalk line when measuring and dividing the room into four quadrants. You will want to do a dry layout of tiles to make sure they are evenly spaced from center of room. Read and follow adhesive instructions and use the recommended trowel. Remember, once tile is placed in adhesive it tends not to be repositionable. You will want to rent a 100# roller to assure tiles are properly positioned into adhesive. If grouting, use recommended acrylic grout. Read and follow directions carefully.

After application of acrylic grout on about a 20 square foot section of the floor, use a sponge and clean water to wipe up excess grout. Then, wipe with mild scouring pad. Then, do another 20 square foot section and repeat the process. Grout should be allowed to dry thoroughly, usually 24 hours and maybe longer if high humiditiy. Once dry, clean with water/ammonia solution to remove any grout haze.

For Congoleum contact info go to: http://www.congoleum.com/contact-us.php

Old 04-21-05, 06:35 AM
onie
Visiting Guest
I already pulled out the vinyl tiles. So it's going to be on a concrete slab and a very small area. Approximately 7x7. It looks like a lot of work and is it a must to use a 100 lb roller ? What are the other options besides duraceramic ? Is ceramic tile much easier to install ?

Old 09-14-06, 08:58 PM
F
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Bad experience

I have Duraceramic installed in my kitchen, mud room, and laundry area. For the installation you need to be sure that you have an absolutely flat surface, and you also need to rent a 100 pound roller. If you are familiar with laying out tile and have experience using grout (if going for the grouted look) then it is not so difficult to install.

However, I am VERY disappointed in the durability of the product. Yes, it is warmer to the touch and is much more forgiving on breakable falling objects. I have had the tile istalled for less than 4 months and already have dozens of gouges, nicks, and stains. It is not worth the investment. I could have installed ceramic for the same price and would have many many more years of wear. I bought it because I thought for the same price, I'd get similar durability with the extra benefits of a "warm" tile and less breakage. The rate we are going we will have to replace in about 2 years. I wish I had read someone else's experience before we tried it. We were the guinnea pigs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: