engineered floor - floating vs. staple down

Old 04-22-05, 10:40 AM
kitanai
Visiting Guest
engineered floor - floating vs. staple down

I just bought a new house and am planning to put hardwood flooring in the living room & dining room area (about 400 sq. ft.). After reading this forum and shopping around I have decided to buy an engineered floor and install it myself. I am a teacher and will have tons of time in the summer to make sure that I do everything right (it also helps that we will have the house for about 6 weeks before we need to move in).

What I am trying to decide is what the advantages of doing a staple down engineered floor would be versus a glueless floating floor. The floor will be over a crawl space. I am buying my flooring from an installer who will come out and make sure that I have the sub-floor prepared correctly, so I'm not concerned about that. I'm just trying to figure out why I would put in a staple down floor that might one day squeak versus a floating floor. Is there something that is inherently better about an attached floor? Ease of installation is not a big consideration in this decision.

Also, if I go with a floating floor, I think that I want a glueless floor. The ones that I have looked at are Mohawk and Kahrs. Any suggestions?

Old 04-24-05, 08:19 AM
kecked
Visiting Guest
From everything I have read glueless floating is the best method of installation if you are going over a wood subfloor. Glue can be hard to master and has a tendancy to pop from a wood subfloor. Staples will mean that each piece will expand and contract vs the entire floor if its floating, so you might have more gaps and squeaks. Glueless floating IMO is the easiest way to install for DIY.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: