Stained Hardwood Floor

Old 04-26-05, 02:22 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Stained Hardwood Floor

Appreciate some assistance.

Just bought an older home with hardwood floors, and there are a couple of places with stains, probably from a dog accident.

Would prefer not to re-do the entire floor.

Is there some way to camouflage the stains so that they do not show up as much?

Thank you for your help.

Old 04-27-05, 03:48 AM
B
pet stains

Pet stains are unpredictable- they can be just on the surface, where some sanding and refinishing might do the trick. But they also might do deep into the wood. I've seen it more than 3/8 inch deep - too deep to sand. All you can do is replace the boards.
Best option is refinishing whole floor, and be prepared to possibly replace pet stained boards. Short of that, you could try to sand and refinish just the pet stained areas, but realistically you will not get a perfect match, even if the floor has a natural finish (meaning no stain applied before finish coats) Time and light change the color, so it's very hard to get a perfect patch. But- if it were my house and I couldn't do the whole floor- I would try to refinish the stained area's. IMHO, a noticable patch is better than an ugly pet stain. And you might get lucky with it being only a surface stain and a close color match. I recently had to do a weave in of new boards where I widened an entryway, and no one (except me) can even tell.
Goodluck!

Old 04-27-05, 06:08 PM
F
Thanks for the reply. Will give it some thought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: