multi-disk orbital sander; alternative to drum sander?

Old 05-11-05, 12:24 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
multi-disk orbital sander; alternative to drum sander?

I went to check out cost for renting a drum sander and was told by the resident "expert" that there is a easier-to-use alternative: a four disc (5 inch?) orbital (random?) sander.

The "expert" asked me intelligent questions including: type of floor, condition, etc. and since I had never used a drum sander and sensing my trepidation, he recommended what he called a U-sander. He claimed it would be easier to use, get up close to the baseboard (eliminating need for the edge sander) and would reduce the risk of gouges and valleys that typically mar the efforts of weekend warriors like me.

"But..." I countered, "will it really do as good a job as the drum sander?" I just bought this fixer-upper house and the floors were poorly maintained (nada!), old finish in large spots, numerous paint drops/spills, uneven, and cupped boards in many places.

Despite my doubts, he insisted this u sander would work.

Is anyone familiar with this type of sander? Will it work as advertised? Any sound advice would be welcome.

Old 05-11-05, 12:44 PM
If your cutting it back down to bare wood, that superbee, is going to take you forever!

Those sanders are good after you cut the finish off, with the big belt sander(belts are easier to handle then a drum.) and start going to finer grits of sand paper.

They do only a little more stuff then a floor maching with a hard plate attachment, but more controlable.

Are you renting? Plan on sanding for a long time with that thing.

Old 05-11-05, 05:40 PM
D
Perry is right, the random orbit sander will take you a long time. If it is just one smaller room you may be fine.
The big belt or drum sanders are difficult to run the first time (few times). I remember when I learned, there were a few chatter marks.
Since you have to take finish off the wood, you might be better off with a belt or drum sander. I personally haven't noticed much difference in handling between a belt or drum sander. Just take it slow and plan to spend a little extra time with the hard plate. It's not as hard as it sounds, but you'll have a few burn marks or small gouges.
Good Luck
Bryan

Old 05-11-05, 06:29 PM
J
Thanks!

I get the picture guys, thanks for the help.

I guess my instincts were right; this "u-sander", whatever it is, cannot do the job of a drum or belt sander.

I'm still nervous about ruining my floors with those big machines. I'll probably get the hang of doing it just as I finish the job and ALL my floors are ruined.. he-he.

Wish me luck!

-- jim serrat

Old 05-12-05, 06:02 PM
D
You won't ruin the floor, if you do, you'd be doing something really really wrong. All you will do is remove a little too much where the drum drops to the floor. Usually not very noticable to an untrained eye. Just remember to have the sander moving when you slowly drop the drum and moving when you slowly raise the drum.
Good luck
Bryan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: