Installing flooring-Which molding to remove?

Old 05-20-05, 04:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing flooring-Which molding to remove?

I will be installing Kahrs engineered flooring in 2 upstairs bedrooms. The floor moldings are 3/4" x 4 1/2" plain boards used as baseboards and door moldings with 1/2" quarter round edging the baseboards.

I have read that it is necessary to take up all molding when installing flooring. I have also seen it described where only the quarter round is removed and the floor is clearanced from the baseboard.

I would like to remove the quarter round only and leave the baseboards. They are clean and basic and in excellent condition. I don't plan on changing them.

Would there be any reason that I would absolutely have to remove the baseboards, or is it acceptable to remove the quarter round only and clearance the flooring from the baseboards?

Thanks for the help.

Old 05-20-05, 05:30 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing the baseboards gives you that extra expansion and movement gap, but the wider the base board, the less it contours to an uneven floor, which could be the reason for the additional quarter round now.

It is really up to you, if you feel you need to take the baseboards off too. Quarter round is sufficient to cover the neeced gap.

Remember to undercut the doorjamb trim and the baseboard a little bit back from the door trim, so you can slide the flooring under them.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: