Urine Stains in Hardwood Floor

Old 06-01-05, 05:06 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Urine Stains in Hardwood Floor

I just purchased a 70 year old home with oak hardwood floors. The previous owner had a large dog which apparently had a few accidents on the floor as there are numerous dark stains here and there. Other than the stains the floor seems to be in very good condition. Should I expect these stains to come out if the floor is sanded and refinished? If not, is there some process that can be used to lighten the stains, or the entire floor?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 06-01-05, 08:14 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Dark urine stains that have penetrated into hardwood flooring most often can not be sanded out. Some refinishers will not take a job where urine is a problem because sanding heats up the ammonia in urine, and it can be breathtaking. One option is to replace affected boards with boards from inconspicuous areas such as in closets. Sometimes bleaching with wood bleach can lighten stains and then floor stained a darker color to camouflage stains.

Old 06-02-05, 01:25 AM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bleaching and Staining Worked for Us

We had the same problem. Our contractor bleached to lighten the stains and then stained the floor a darker color. I think they used Clorox rather than some floor-specific product. Smoke (or steam) rose from the dark stained areas until they washed off the bleach. I had to stay away when they sanded due to the stench. What remains are small dark dots that are noticed pretty much only by me. We're satisfied with the results, but this may be a matter of taste. We also like the look of distressed wood and stripped and refinished the original doors, warts and all, for example, rather than replace them. Good luck.

Joel
Bayside, NY

Old 06-05-05, 04:52 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Many floor refinishers will not tackle a urine stained wood floor. Sanding activates the ammonia in urine and it can be breathtaking. Bleaching of stains and staining floor with a darker color to camouflage stains is an option. Using chlorine bleach mixed with ammonia in urine is not a good idea. Chlorine & ammonia produce a toxic gas. Most refinishers tend to use oxalic acid to bleach floors. Don't get hung up on perfection because many older homes have much history, and imperfections in hardwood floors tend to lend much character, history, and conversation when entertaining. And, what tends to be an eye-sore to you will tend to be never be noticed by a guest.

Old 06-06-05, 08:37 AM
jtsmith
Visiting Guest
i just refinished my oak floors this weekend. We had many dark urine stains, that seemed to disappear when we sanded. and we even bleached the dark ones. but they came back when we stained them.

They are a little lighter but i could point out every one to you.

the reality is, if they are in there deep, you cant get them out unless you replace the stained boards. but like other have pointed out....the variations in color add character. my floor is about 80 years old, and the wood looks fantatstic, so I'm not about to replace aged boards with new wood. Ithink that will stick out more than a few pee stains

and for the record...not a single person has noticed....not even my father in law

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: