Refinishing Oak Floors

Old 06-13-05, 06:12 AM
rachos
Visiting Guest
Question Water base vs. oil base sealer?

Are there any benefits to using one sealer over another, in terms of appearance or durability?

Last edited by rachos; 06-18-05 at 09:06 AM. Reason: to make question more specific
Old 06-13-05, 08:30 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can stain your oak floors any color you desire or you can leave them natural. Then, you finish according to finish manufacturer's instructions. Oil-based is touted to be more durable than water-based, but it ambers (yellows) with age, and is smelly and takes longer to dry. Water-based does not amber and dries quickly and with less odor.

Old 06-13-05, 10:58 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They are speaking about the finish. Oil is still touted by some to be better, but NWFA, years ago did tests and determined the best water is more 'durable' than the best oil finish. Keep in mind that NWFA represents both large oil and water finish companies. On personal experience, I ahve seen several floors I coated 10-12 years ago in high traffic areas that have held up well. I prefer BAsic Coatings Street Shoe, but Bona Traffic is good also.
Water based stains are another animal. Stick with an oil base designed for floors such as Duraseal Quick dry or Bona Drifast(best) if you use a stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: