Floor Finish Question

Old 06-23-05, 11:42 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Floor Finish Question

Here it is....

We are about to finish our oak floors with clear water based urathane. I've heard so many different ways of applying the finish that my brain hurts.

I've heard to use gloss for the first two coats then a final coat of satin with light sanding between coats to only sanding before the last coat and variations on that basic theme.

I'm interested in hearing any recommendations from any and all who have suggestions.

The house is empty and we are in no rush to finish.

Thanks for any help!!!

Old 06-23-05, 04:43 PM
Gloss, gloss, satin, or it will have a lot of build up that will make it look milky / hazy

Old 06-24-05, 08:58 AM
M
You hear a lot of different techniques because there a a myriad of different situations and products. I use the same products for years but many floors are done differently depending on the situation.
The finish I use does not need sanding between all coats if its reapplied within 6 hours. To alleviate the chance of sceen marks and dulling, I never screen before final coat because it takes two coats to cover those problems. My standard procedure is to apply first coat(after a sealer), let dry overnight. Screen, and apply two coats the same day. I make a lot of money with that procedure. You need to follow the recommendations of the finish manufacturer of your choice.

There are several reasons to recommend the gloos undercaots- a clearer finish and less problems with stop marks and lines showing becuase of less dulling agents. It is not a necessity though, but probably better for an inexperienced user.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: