Is this a good price for pre-engineered flooring install

Old 07-06-05, 12:30 PM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
Is this a good price for pre-engineered flooring install

Hello -

I am new to the site, and I have a couple of questions.

Currently in the process of building a house. The house will be on a slab.

Interested in putting in hardwood flooring in the kitchen/breakfast area. At the present I picked out a standard vinyl for that area, and planned to go to a flooring place and have them install the wood floors for me. After looking at the options list, the builder will charge $2290 to lay glue-down pre-engineered hardwood ILO Vinyl on the slab (I need to find out if that includes the breakfast area). The kitchen/breakfast area is about 275 sq ft. They are using Mohawk pre-engineered flooring (specs say 6 ply pre-finish engineered hardwood with vapor barrier installed).

1. Is that a good price
2. Is Mohawk a good brand, or is there better for the same money
3. Will it cost me more, if the vinyl has to be removed to do it later?

I am struggling a little over to have installed laminant wood floors. I just have one child (8 yrs old) and no pets. I am thinking that resale would be better with wood vs wood laminant.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-05, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It may be a floating floor, from what you described.

Go to some of the flooring E-tailers like iFloor.com or FastFloors.com and others and price shop the wood to see just what price you can purchase the wood for.

Then you will get an idea of labor(around $2.50 per foot, more or less???) and mark up.

You might be surprised!

Old 07-07-05, 06:52 PM
Ronnieja
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the response.

I did find out that it is not a floating floor. The floor will be glued down. The space is 275 sq ft (probably larger because that was measuring the floor of the protype model they built with the cabinets already in place), which works out to $8.33 per sq ft. This would include all the molding. It sounds like it is a fair deal.

The biggest savings (labor) could be seen if I knew how to put down the floor, but I have never laid hardwood before. I am handy, but I don't think I can handle this job.

Plus if they do it, it would come with the new home warranty.