photos (Hardwood Floor Installation)

Old 07-11-05, 06:56 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
photos (Hardwood Floor Installation)

Here are some photos of my first hardwood installation. I started with my living and dining room - 500 sg ft. Eventually I want to replace carpeting throughout the house.

I am in the process of preparing the molding for the base. I hope the picture uploading works.

Mike

Old 07-12-05, 08:40 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Very nice photos and beautiful floor! Thank you for sharing.

Old 07-12-05, 08:47 PM
denisl
Visiting Guest
Looks great.

Is that the HD 3 1/4" Bruce floors?

I ask because I JUST finished installing my hardwood floors and the style looks exactly the same. Home Depot Bruce Plano Plank Marsh.

Old 07-13-05, 04:11 AM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Yes this is the HD 3 1/4" Plano Marsh Flooring. I struggled a bit with it do to some bowing, but the savings outwayed the extra efforts.

The defect level I approximated to be about 10%, of which the majorty being damaged tongues. I plan on using lots of these for beginning rows in the hallway and bedrooms.

Mike

Old 07-23-05, 09:42 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mike, What product(s) did you use to finish that floor? Any stain?

Old 07-24-05, 09:34 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Smile

Very nice install, especially since it was your first time.

How long did the project take you to complete?

-XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
COMPANY NAME & BUSINESS WEBSITE REMOVED - NOT ALLOWED!

Last edited by Annette; 07-29-05 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-24-05, 07:12 PM
mike123333
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys for the compliment, This was a prefinished flooring. 3/4" solid by 3 1/4" width. The actual installtion took me 4 days during the July 4th weekend. I was only working about 8 hrs a day and kind of taking it easy. Had I pushed myself, I could of completed it in 2 days.

Prior to this project I installed marble flooring in my foyer and kitchen, the marble flooring is complemented by the hardwood flooring. The marble flooring took a lot of energy out of me. This project was installed the memmorial Day weekend. This was the reason I was kind of taking it slow with the hardwood.

I will post pictures of the fully completed floor along with the marble flooring.

Mike

Old 07-10-08, 04:59 AM
Hey Mike

Mike, It looks really great. I will be installing the same flooring on 07/19/08. I hope it will turn out the same. Is it true you should not store the boxes stacked more than three high. I noticed someone mentioned this earlier. If I did not stack it higher than three high I would have boxes everywhere in my house. Two little ones a home that just does not work.

I know this post is from three years ago but HEY CAN ANY BUDDY CAN GIVE ME A HEADS UP.

Last edited by JL9931; 07-10-08 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Revise the date
Old 07-10-08, 10:31 AM
D
Not the pro around hre, but you definitely should follow the manufacturers instructions/specifications. There's always a reason for it.
The purpose for stacking them a certain way is to allow air to circulate properly for acclimation. This should be done regardless of your living situation. I do have sympathy for you you though!

BTW: Welcome to the forums

Old 07-11-08, 09:44 AM
Diy Addict

Hey DIY Addict,

Thanks for the advice but no where on the Bruce Flooring web site or product literature for storage of wood floor does it say anything about stacking the boxes. Home Depot leaves them palletize also so what's the difference I don't know. I agree with the acclimation process.

Thanks for the forum welcome. I think this is great.

I told my wife to check it out on gardening tips.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Last edited by JL9931; 07-11-08 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 10:12 AM
D
Interesting that there's no specifics. If no one else replies (which I'm sure someone will ), call them up and ask them! Just remember that however the store stocks them, it doesn't matter b/c they aren't acclimating it to install it in their store (right?). Your home and their place are 2 different things.

BTW: There's an option below where you can select Thread Subscription, Notification type where you can get email, daily, weekly notification when you post a reply. Hope that helps. Other than that you can modify your settings where the newests posts in a topic forum will be at the top of the page.

Hope your wife checks out the gardening section. There's a wealth of info here.

Old 07-11-08, 11:01 AM
Thanks Alot I found the e-mail thread. Be good.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old 07-11-08, 12:03 PM
T
Provide good air circulation around pallets, bundles, or cartons. Do not stack flooring bundles or cartons more than three layers high, and maintain a flat stack. Record flooring moisture content upon delivery and at time of installation for future reference. Wood should be acclimatized in room where it is to be installed. Humidity levels can vary among rooms.

Solid 3/4" hardwood flooring should be between 6 and 9% moisture content, and the subfloor and flooring should be within 4% of each other (2% on wider planks--4" and greater). In no case should the moisture content of either exceed 12%. Once moisture levels of wood and subfloor have been checked to confirm proper acclimatization, subfloor can be covered with 15# minimum asphalt roofing felt.

Doors and windows should be closed and temperature at around 70 degrees and humidity between 35-55% and maintained so year round.

If installing over a crawl space, it should be dry, well-ventilated, and soil should be covered with 6 mil. minimum plastic vapor retarder overlapped and taped and run up sides of foundation and held in place with silicone caulk to minimize vapor emission transmission through subfloor. There should be no site drainage issues around the structure.

Old 07-11-08, 12:17 PM
Thxs Twelve

I have all the information you provided I just never saw the bundle stack verbiage.

I appreciate your time.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Old 07-11-08, 02:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Floor looks great!

When I worked at HD, I always loved the look of that floor. I can honestly say, I never saw anyone buy it because we had no display for it, and it wall all stacked on a pallet and not visible.

If I had a wooden subfloor, I would have bought it, but I'm stuck with a concrete slab....

Old 07-11-08, 04:47 PM
T
Great job!! Looks fabulous!!

I'm a stickler for details though - and hate the bevel that comes with that pre-finished wood... it tends to acculate dirt/crap quickly. I put this same product in a 3000 sq. ft. main floor in one of my homes about 6 houses ago... I loved how easy it went in - but hated the crap that accumulated in the crevices.....

Ever since then, I've stuck with unfinished Oak flooring that requires another $3.00/ft in sanding/finishing price... but have been very, very happy with those results....

Old 07-11-08, 04:57 PM
D
You guys ARE aware that you're posting a reply (on the great floor) that's been resurrected right? Not that it's not GR8! It's beautiful!

Old 07-12-08, 05:46 AM
C
yes, that is a beautifull floor. i hope mine turns out that nice.

who cares if its an old thread.

Old 07-12-08, 07:08 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
3 yrs old.......and I didn't notice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: