Laminate Floor buckling

Old 07-13-05, 06:01 PM
C
Chris Lawton
Visiting Guest
Laminate Floor buckling

I recently installed a Witek laminate floor, and followed the instructions to a T, but now there are "waves" throughout the floor. I was careful to leave the proper gap around the perimeter, under the baseshoe. I believe there is a moisture issue, i.e. a slight dishwasher leak, since the boards are bowing throughout the floor and not just in one area. Is anyone familiar with this? If so, can I partially repair the floor, and if not, how do I prevent this in the future?
Thanks!
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-05, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of moisture barrier did you install prior to laying the floor?

Old 07-15-05, 05:38 AM
C
Chris Lawton
Visiting Guest
I used a blue matting specifically designed for underneith laminate flooring. The name is Soundsoulution. It was my understanding that this was a really high quality pad. It was one of the most expensive pads I saw. On the plastic wrap around the pad, the manufacturer also claims it can be used on concrete, which this application was on a concrete subflooring (slab on grade townhouse).

Old 07-15-05, 06:05 PM
T
Buckling of laminate and solid wood floors, according to forum posts, tend to be a result of failure to acclimate, failure to leave proper expansion gap, and improper job site conditions. Job site conditions are crucial. If installing over crawl space, it should be dry with polypropylene vapor retarder installed. If installing laminate over concrete slab, manufacturer's recommended vapor retarder must be installed.

If you have a dishwasher leak or other plumbing leak, excess moisture issues will tend to be the reason for your problems. Make note that water follows the path of least resistance. The affected area from a dishwasher or plumbing leak will not be confined to just in front of the dishwasher. If floor is unlevel, water will tend to travel to the lowest point(s) in the room. Running dehumidifier and fans will expedite drying. Wet/dry vacuum can remove excess water. But, moisture trapped beneath laminate will tend to delaminate the layers and cause your flooring product to swell. Check with your homeowner's insurance to see if deductible and cost of replacement are feasible. Have a plumber come to address any plumbing leaks and to get documentation for your homeowner's insurance. Find receipts for floor covering and installation. Costs have probably increased since then because of increased manufacturing, installation, and fuel costs for delivery of products and installers' fuel, as well as any petroleum products used in the manufacturing of your product.

You indicate that you are not sure of the source of your problem. If you think it is plumbing, call a plumber. Inspect the area beneath the installation. Do you have moisture issues in a crawl space or basement? Did you use the recommended vapor retarders? Did you acclimate your product? Did you follow manufacturer's installation instructions for all aspects of the project?

Old 07-15-05, 06:58 PM
You bought the cushion, but did you buy and install a moisture barrier, taping the seams to make it moisture tight, prior to the cushion underlayment installation?

I think I see what the problem is!! (hand held high)