Thickness of laminate floor and under the floor

Old 07-19-05, 11:08 AM
K
ketan
Visiting Guest
Thickness of laminate floor and under the floor

Hi,
I have heard that generally 8 mm thickness is fine for laminate floor in the family living room. Someone was trying to sell 12 mm thick. any opinion ?
also I was told to put a plastic sheet and a silencer under the floor. is there anything else I need to put?
Thanks again for all the help

regards,
Ketan

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-05, 08:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shop around for the best product your budget can afford. Go with a manufacturer that offers good, better, best levels of quality, warranty, and price. If purchasing wood laminate (engineered wood) floors, go with a product that offers the thickest veneer layer of real wood (nothing less than 1/8") and the most plies (usually they come 3-7 plies).

Thus, thickness of the product is not the major concern. It is thickness of veneer layer. Too, depending on product, if floating floor, type of locking system is an important consideration.

As each manufacturer of laminate flooring tends to have its own very specific subfloor prep, vapor retarder, underlayment, acclimation, and installation instructions, purchase a product that best meets your jobsite conditions and installation skills. If installing over concrete slab, a vapor retarder is usually required. Use manufacturer's recommended underlayment material. Some offer good, better, best levels of quality for sound deadening. Your questions will be best answered by the manufacturer's specifications and installation instructions.