Wormy Chestnut Flooring

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-05, 02:08 PM
jsa75
Visiting Guest
Wormy Chestnut Flooring

I recently found some engineered hardwood flooring made by a company called UA Floors called Wormy Chestnut (UAM929) I was wondering if anyone was familiar with this product or this company. It is on sale for $6 ft^2. This seems like a pretty good price for it. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-05, 05:13 PM
Is it reclaimed wormy chestnut? http://www.acf.org/wildlife_15.htm

Today American chestnut comes from virgin wood cut from logs that have lain in the woods since the blight killed the trees, nearly 70 years ago. Logs half buried and covered with moss remained moist and preserved. Thus, real wormy chestnut is prized. Supplies are scarce and very expensive. http://www.iswonline.com/wwp/wom/amchestnut.cfm

American Chestnut rates only 540 on the Janka hardness scale of wood species. Chestnut is one of the softer species available. It is just under thirty percent harder than white pine, is sixty percent as hard as cedar, is fifty-four percent as hard as teak, just under forty-two percent as hard as red oak, roughly thirty-seven percent as hard as hard maple.

Ua is a Taiwan manufacturer. Products are available through dealers in the southeast and northeast and California. Chestnut species from other countries tend to rate high on the Janka scale.

Last edited by twelvepole; 08-01-05 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-01-05, 06:32 PM
jsa75
Visiting Guest
Wormy Chestnut

http://uafloors.com/chestnutinfo.html

This is the floor I am referring to. Apparantly the janka rating is 1810. I think this floor is beautiful but just wanted to find out if this seems like a good price for it ($6/ft) Thanks

Old 08-01-05, 11:07 PM
This must be Asian chestnut, as the Ambrosia beetle is Asian? At $6.00/SF the product should be a good one. My research found no negative reports re: Ua's products. Most was testimonials by manufacturers and retailers of Ua's products which are reportedly well-milled. Warranty information and installation instructions were standard.

Old 08-12-05, 10:55 AM
oracle1234
Visiting Guest
Studs

We looked at a sample of this wood today (8/12/2005) and are seriously thinking about installing it throughout our home in Tampa, FL. We got a quote of $8.75 sq./ft. installed from a local company. We really liked the looks of the wood sample. It has a nice veneer layer and good layers of backing. We will be gluing directly to concrete. I hope that the actual wood looks as nice as the sample!!

Has anyone out there ever used wood from this company, UA in Taiwan?

Old 08-16-05, 10:47 AM
Follow manufacturer's instructions to maintain any warranties. Installing over concrete will require moisture test to rule out moisture issues. Recommended vapor tarder and adhesive will need to be used.

Old 08-23-05, 05:38 AM
oracle1234
Visiting Guest
Wormy Chestnut

UA is getting the chestnut from Australia. They recommend "Bostik's Best" urethane adhesive for concrete. Excessive moisture in the slab is an issue, but the slab was poured over a poly film. Humidity is also an issue. They recommend 35%-55%

Old 10-06-08, 12:49 PM
aussie wormy chestnut

Am i the only one that didn't know that aussie wormy chestnut isn't a chestnut at all?
it's a eucalyptus with the same characteristics and it would explain why its 3or4 times harder than american chestnut.
I'm not sure i would pay 8.50 sq ft for hand scraped aussie wormy chestnut if it's not chestnut to begin with.

Old 10-06-08, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You do know this thread is over 3 yrs old?

Closed Thread