Laminate flooring vs cold temperatures

Old 08-02-05, 11:58 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Laminate flooring vs cold temperatures

I am considering installing laminate flooring in my cabin which I do not heat in the winter, unless I happen to go there for a weekend or so. Will the cold temperatures (sometimes 40 degrees below zero) have a negative effect on the flooring?

Old 08-04-05, 08:16 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Laminate flooring requires constant year-round humidity and temperature levels for best performance. Read and follow manufacturer's instructions for acclimation (allowing to adjust to temperature and humidity) for several days before installation, any required vapor retarders, underlayment, expansion gaps (as product with expand and contract as temperature and humidity levels change). If in doubt, contact the customer service department of the laminate manufacturer regarding temperature and humidity requirements and warranty.

Old 08-05-05, 06:35 AM
S
Thank you. I read in the material only "extreme" temperature fluctuations. I will contact the manufacturer.

Old 08-05-05, 12:03 PM
S
I called Dupont. They said the interior of the cabin should be kept at about 60 degrees. This is not possible. What can I use in a cabin kitchen which will not be heated in the winter in Northern Minnesota? Help! I don't want to use carpet.

HELP! (I currently have the OSB subfloor with about five coats of poly on it.)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-16-08, 06:19 AM
P
Floors and freezing

I have a similar problem that I am just starting to research. We turn the heat down at the lake in the winter and sometimes the electricity goes off and it is freezing or below. I want to put a new floor down in the bedroom. I also want to avoid cracks and carpet where spiders and bugs may hide. So far, the suggestion I heard from a dealer was to use porcelein, but that seems cold on the feet for a bedroom. Still researching. Would also like ideas.

Old 05-16-08, 10:36 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Frost proof tile can be used where floor is subjected to freezing temperatures. Area rugs and runners can provide warmth underfoot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: