Hardwood (Oak) floor finishing - timing problem.

Old 08-02-05, 12:04 PM
paloc
Visiting Guest
Hardwood (Oak) floor finishing - timing problem.

Hello everybody,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now, great forum. I'm finally posting because I've got a wood floor finishing-timing issue that's stressing me out, I need help.

I've been sanding a combination of 80 year old white oak floor mixed with some new floor patches since Saturday (whole house, 950sf). I'm only up to 60 grid, it's Tuesday. For this coming Sunday, I have guys coming in to start on wood trim, kitchen cabinets etc... Obviously, I messed up, I had no idea this sanding business would take this long. I can finish the floor by the end of this week if I try really hard but I'm afraid that the finish will not be hard enough by Sunday for heavy foot traffic in the house.

Here is my dilemma:
Should I stop now, leave the floor sanded at 60 grid without any finish, cover it with paper and wait for other work to be done (about 2 weeks) or hurry, finish it and hope for the best? How is the sanded but unfinished floor going to hold up in humid Texas weather for couple of weeks?
If I do finish and apply 1 coat of water-based poly on Friday and another one on Saturday, will it stand up to some serious foot traffic on Sunday?

I appreciate your help
paloc

Old 08-02-05, 02:51 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What we generally do in new construction is sand and put one coat on to protect the floor. We then wait until everything in the house is finished before we come back to do the final two coats. This works good for us. It protects the floors enough for construction workers to walk on but allows us to fix any scratches easily and make the floor look brand new for the home owner.
Really I think you would be fine waiting too.
Later
Bryan

Old 08-02-05, 10:08 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, what duneslider said. Its quite common to hold off on final coats until the other trades are done. The only work that should be left after final coat is base-maybe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: