Engineered: float or glue

Old 08-12-05, 07:06 PM
R
rtbrick
Visiting Guest
Engineered: float or glue

Floating or gluing engineered flooring seems to be a big point of discussion. I have a concrete slab (that I am still determining the flatness, moisture, etc) and want to install wood. Gluing seems to have a set of potential problems all its own (mess, glue releasing/not adhering, intensive floor prep), while the primary drawback to floating is the hollow sound when walked on. Does anyone know the trend between gluing and floating (I read a lot about floating)? Does it differ between new home construction and home improvement projects/DIYers?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-05, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"mess, glue releasing/not adhering, intensive floor prep"

The floor prep is identical and don't let anyone tell you different!!!!! They are telling you what you want to hear to make a sale!!!

Only if you get a glueless interlocking design engineered, is it not going to be messy. Glued planks has glue ooze at the joints that must be wiped off constantly while installing or your going to end up with dull smears everywhere all over your investment.

Glue releasing and not adhering, goes right back to floor prep, or should I say lack of.

It is going to be your decision, to float or glue. The adhesive itself add to the cost @ about $1 a foot. That alone usually makes the decision for somebody on a budget, not the hollow vs. solid feel.