Problem with transition to tile floor

Old 08-20-05, 05:40 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Problem with transition to tile floor

This is my first post but I have been a long time visitor. Thanks to all you guys for all the great advice you give you. I am in need of some right now.

I tore out the carpet and padding in my dining room only to find the difference in floor height to be 5/8". Well the laminate flooring is 8mm thick + really thin underlayment will not come close to matching up. The transition pieces will not even come close to sitting correctly. I see there are transition pieces for transitioning "down" to other floor types but I havenít seen anything for matching up laminate flooring that is lower than the mating surface.

Thanks for all you help in advance. My wife is upset at the fact that the house is in the condition it is and we are at a stopping point.

~Jake

Old 08-20-05, 07:14 PM
Use a reducer for the thickness you need!

This is an easy solution.

Old 08-20-05, 08:12 PM
C
I understand that this is a simple fix for a professional like yourself, but how does a reducer mount to the floor when the laminate floor is lower than the kitchen floor? SUBFLOOR IS QUITE A BIT LOWER THAN THE TILE FLOOR, not the other way around.

I have only seen reducers that go from the laminate floor down to the existing floor (because the laminate is higher than the mating floor) using a plastic track that holds the reducer. Is there specific reducers for going from a really low laminate floor to a higher tile floor?

If you are just going to answer with "this is easy, just use a reducer" then its really not going to help anything at all. You have experience in the flooring business and I am a backyard do it yourselfer.

A simple "yes" they do make transition pieces that go the opposite way would sufice.

Last edited by ciscofreak; 08-20-05 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-21-05, 11:40 PM
houstonh
Visiting Guest
Jake, just turn the reducer strip around. essentially, it will be going from the Tile down to the "wood"

This seems too easy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: