Wide Pine Flooring in 1740 Colonial

Old 01-02-00, 12:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We are restoring a 1740 Colonial and have wide pine floors that we are trying to bring back to life. I understand there is a recipe of linseed oil, turpentine, and shelac that will do the job. However, I am not sure of the percent of each in the mixture and the procedure. We have 8 rooms and two 30ft hallways.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-05-00, 09:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi brembo,

You home sounds wonderful! The older homes have a charm and warmth about them.

Actually the formula is for turpentine, linseed oil and beeswax. I would be hesitant to mix schelac and turpentine together (could produce very toxic fumes)I don't know the exact combination to mix either. I do know there is just a small percentage of beeswax.

I used to clean homes and one home had older floors like what you have. I used a paste I think it was by the Minwax folks that seemed to do a good job refurbishing the floors.

You could mix the turpentine and linseed oil together like 50/50 add a small amount of beeswax and try that on an out of the way spot. Mix just a small amount, apply it, let that set about 30 minutes to soak into the wood and wipe the remainder off.

If that combination doesn't work, make minor adjustments to the formula until it's providing the right combination.

Remember your floor will be very thirsty. Turpentine comes from trees so you are replenishing what the tree lost years ago. It may take a couple of coats to restore the shine.

Also remember to open your windows and turn on a fan. Turpentine is strong and will linger in the home. Be very careful storing the rags you use. The combination can cause spontaneous combustion, so don't store it near a heat source and don't put them in a sealed bag.

Mary Moppins

P.S. I'm sending out free cleaning hints twice a month now. If you would like to receive them, head to my web site at www.GoClean.com and you can sign up there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: