rotted floor, bathroom

Old 03-06-00, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
i would like to replace part of my bathroom floor that has rotted out over the years due to toilet tank sweating, cou you please me thru the steps to making a good solid patch. the area i need to replace is 2-1/2ft x 4 ft.

Old 03-06-00, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

sammycat:
Remove toilet, if its in the way, and stuff rag in waste pipe flange to prevent sewer gas into bathroom (the toilet acts as its own trap). Your floor joists should be on 16" centers, and you will have to span to the center of the next floor joists outside the rotted area with your new subfloor/flooring, usually 5/8" subfloor, 1/2" flooring. Set your skill saw to the exact depth of both layers of flooring and cut out rot area along middle of floor joists.(Whenever I repair an area that may get water damage again, I go with pressure-treated plywood.) Check the top edges of your joists for rot, and scab on new 2X to side of old joist, if necessary, keeping it level. Nail a piece of 14.5" 2X between joists where your replacement flooring meets old flooring, with half the board under new and half under old flooring. Install subfloor. Add layer of roofing felt (tar paper) over subfloor for moisture barrier. Nail/screw edges about every 8". Add flooring, same, same, without felt. Replace floor covering in bathroom.Reinstall toilet with a new wax ring. If you have any questions, just ask. Good Luck!

Old 03-06-00, 05:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

To help prevent toilet tank sweating caused by cold water in tank causing condensation by warm, moist air in bathroom, look for foam insulation inserts for tank made for this purpose, and tank covers. If these don't work in your situation, you may want to consider adding a mixing valve with a hot water connection to warm up cold-water-supply-only that normally goes into tank. Fix damage, Fix cause. Walla! Good Luck!

Old 03-07-00, 04:13 AM
Visiting Guest
Sammycat: Contact Mark at ahr@midco.net
Tell him I told you to contact him. I guarantee he can help you. He has a video I just say that shows step by step to do exactly what you want to do. This will save you alot of money. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: