mosaic tiles

Old 03-08-00, 06:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I am making a coffee table with a mosaic tile top. When I got ready to lay the tile on top I realized the frame was a bit too high. To raise the base, I used grout and covered it to raise it before I put the tile down. I wanted the tile and frame to be flush. But in the middle of the top the grout cracked. What concerns me is that at this point I pushed on the grout and you can tell at this part, it seems the grout is a little loose from the wood. HELP. Should I continue now with laying the tiles with adhesive to the grout? I do not want the tiles popping out later on because of the grout? Should I have used another substance to raise the base?

Old 03-14-00, 09:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Cement sticks well to cement (wonder board)and removable cement forms are made of wood. I would use at the very least thin set to bond the tile to the wood, a product acryl-4000 ceramic tile set (for drywall (cellulose based) adhesion would be a better product. With a little elbow grease and a stiff putty knife you should be able to remove the grout. Grout is made for between the tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: