No subfloor

Old 04-09-00, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I have just acquired a 75 year old home with 3/4" thick wood floors and no sub-flooring. Three bedrooms, living room and dining room all lack subflooring beneath what I think is fir. I need to replace 5 damaged strips in the LR. Has anyone ever replaced strips in a case where their is no sub-flooring?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-00, 04:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Pam: I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like the subflooring was never put on. The subflooring goes on top of those 3/4" boards.
This is very commom in old homes. If you need to replace one, locate your floor joists, and take a circular saw, and just set it on the middle and drop it down. Set the blade for 3/4 inch. Do not saw across, just set the saw down. This will give you a cut make, and do this on each end of the replacement. Take a good chislel and chip out your old board. The tongue should come right out. Pull nails, and then replace with new board,the same dimensions. Screw down the new board with a minimum of 2 1/4 inch screws. If you want, you can put your subflooring down also. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor