hardwood finishes and wax

Old 07-11-00, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

How can I tell what finish is on my hardwood floors? Can any finish be waxed?

Why would there be one or two isolated boards with dry rot or insect rot?

HELP! The floors under these carpets are beautiful, but I don't know how to care for them.

Thanks

Old 07-11-00, 03:31 PM
Visiting Guest
NEVER wax a hardwood floor, no matter what it is finished with. If you ever use wax or any product which leaves a residue on a hardwood floor, you'll have a much harder time getting your next coat of finish to stick to it.

If it needs a fresh finish, sand or screen it (depending on what it looks like now) and put down some form of urethane (there are lots of different kinds).

Old 07-16-00, 08:35 PM
Visiting Guest
It can be really tough figuring out what kind of finsh is on your old hardwood. Yor best bet is to get someone with alot of experience with finishes, old and new, and have him take a look at it. If that's not an option you have to play detective. If the floor was installed in the 60's or earlyer it is probably an oil based urethane or wax. Urethane looks like plastic and wax looks.....waxy. If it's a newer installation it could be a water based polyurethane. If it's under your wall to wall carpet you're going to have to have it refinished anyway, so it's a moot point.

As far as wax on hardwood, I think it's the best looking finish there is and it feels great on your bare feet (you can feel the wod grain, not a plastic finish). The problem is that it's a maintenance nightmare. That's why nobody uses it anymore.

Scott
www.stephensfloor.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: