Sanding Floor

Old 07-18-00, 09:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am refinishing my hardwood floor(it has been under carpet forever) It looks really good, with only a light coat of finish remaining. The finish will flake off. There are a few surface(I hope )stains. My question is, do I have to rent one of those gigantic sanders, or can I use an electric sander? The room is really small....9' by 11' I think the bending over would be easier than trying to control the giant sander..I have heard they can gouge your floor, plus I am only 5'2". What do you think.(Also, I don't want to hire someone..I like to do things to make my home MY home.) Thanks>

Old 07-19-00, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
The floor drum sander can gouge your floor. It takes some getting used to. You would also need an edger to get around the edges of the room. You will be there forever with an small electric sander.I have seen vibratory sanders at a home center that are made specifically for refinishing floors. They are easy to use and use a sanding pad approx. 12 x 18". They remove material too slow on a new floor but should work ok on an existing floor. The drawback on the ones I saw was that they hod no dust collection system

Old 07-20-00, 06:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Hi! Thanks for the advice. I rented the floor sander and had the floor done in about 2 hours. I still need to do the corners, but wow it really worked fast!! Now if the finish could just dry that fast!! Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: