Water under laminate... options?

Old 10-07-05, 02:07 PM
catlady
Visiting Guest
Water under laminate... options?

So water leaked from our bathroom and out into our hallway. But instead of INTO the hallway, it went UNDER the hallway, creeping under the pergo. Let's just say that no one wants to hear squish when they step on their "hardwood" floor and see little geysers come up between the boards!

Where do I go from here (after the plumber leaves, and of course we can't get one out until tomorrow)? The ends of the planks closest to the bathroom have 4-6" of swelling already, so they're obviously a loss. Do they need to be torn up right this minute, or is it better to wait until the calamity has passed? Can someone point me to a guide or previous thread that explains how to extract the damaged boards and replace them with new ones?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-05, 07:19 AM
Crispy
Visiting Guest
Wish I had better news.

I recommend getting the laminate up quickly and setting up a blower and dehudifier. Allowing the water to sit under the laminate would allow subfloor damage, growth of mold or bacteria, or the water to travel and damage other rooms, walls etc. I would possibly set up dehumidifiers in the area under as well.

I would have suggest filing a homeowners claim in the old days, but not now with mold and litigation, most insurance companies are looking for reasons to drop or non-renew homeowners due to loss ratios being terrible on homeowner claims. See what is happening in Florida, and if Mississippi is not careful, they are next. The risk reward would not benefit you more than likely. I would "chin it", or take it on the chin.

I have worked about 1,200 water claims since Ivan, Dennis and now Katrina. And it would be interesting if someone comes up with a better gameplan for you. I am in no way an expert on water loss and often rely on the advise of others.

Good luck, I wish the advice was better.

Crispy

Old 10-22-05, 07:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I agree w/ crispy, pull up the laminate flooring NOW and get it dry underneath, no reason to wait for the plumber to come and go. In the meantime it wil lstill slowly spread and you will lose even more of yer boards.
We have a basement that floods on occasion and I know how this feels... ugh! pull up the laminate and unerlayment, and get rags or a wet-dry vac if itst hat much water, and suck that stuff up and out. Then air it out as much as possible. Good luck!

Old 10-22-05, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Take the trim molding off first. Take a circular saw and cut the row down the middle. Then start lifting rows.

Get it up now!! And get it dry ASAP before it creeps.