Under what circumstances can 3/4" solid hardwood floors

Old 07-19-00, 07:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

be installed parallel to the joists? I would like to install the flooring across the width of my great room, but the joists also run this direction. The wood floors in my foyer and dining room are in the same direction, but the joists in this part of the house DO run perpendicular to the flooring (i.e. in the opposite direction of the joists in the great room). I would like the floors to all run in the same direction. I believe the subfloor is 3/4" plywood (pretty sure).

Old 07-19-00, 12:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Jeff Hosking (flooring advisor to This Old House) says you may install solid wood flooring parallel to the joists if you have solid 16" o.c. joists with at least 3/4" plywood or OSB.

Having said that, all experts agree that it is always better to install it perpendicular to the joists.

Most people will violate the perpendicular rule only with a really good reason, the most common of which is a hallway in which you almost always want the wood running down the hall. If I were you, I'd favor running the boards perpendicular to the joists over maintaining the "all in same direction" rule. But if you really want them all in the same direction, then do it.

Old 07-19-00, 01:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jeff. What would be some of the potential problems I might encounter were I to install the floors parallel to the joists.

Old 07-21-00, 09:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Out here on the left coast, most poeple who have wood subfloors, have 3/4" on 16 centers, or 1 1/8" on 4' girders (old houses often have car planks). We've always installed solid hardwood over these types of plywood subfloors with out concern as to the direction of the joists. You have to have purchase for your nails to hold the floor down. That's why the direction of the joists is important if your subfloor is thin or nonexistant (i.e. you need somthing solid to nail to).

If your subfloor is 3/4", the nails, staples, or cleats aren't going to penatrate to the joists. There's no relation to the direction of the joists and the direction of the wood in this instance.

Jeff's web site is at www.hoskinghardwood.com

Scott www.stephensfloor.com

Old 07-22-00, 04:25 AM
Visiting Guest
The biggest problem you may encounter is after about a year you could get a rolling effect (unlevel) in your new hardwood. If I were to run hardwood parallel to the joists, i would use 3/4 T&G, screwed down with 3" square headed screws one every 4 inches down to the joists as well as glued to the joists.
I forgot to mention, if your joists are not 16"oc, then you will have to install bridge
blocking between the joists, one every 2 feet between each joist.

[This message has been edited by Jack the Contractor (edited July 22, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: