Bathroom Floor

Old 07-30-00, 03:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Help! We purchased a house with carpeting in the bathroom, so I tore that out only to find a ceramic tile floor underneath. Well some of the ceramic tile floor was letting go, so THAT had to come off, and when taking that off, some of the underlayment started to break loose (water damaged). My question is, it appears as though there is the subfloor, then TWO layers of approx. 1/4in underlayment. Is this something anyone has seen before? Would I just rip it out and put down all new underlayment? We are going to be putting in vinyl sheet flooring. Thanks for any help!!

Old 07-30-00, 06:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Was there dry rot, or was the existing floor just flimsy from exposure to water? If there was dry rot you want to cut it out or treat it to keep it from spreading. Idealy you would have one layer of underlayment over your subfloor, but if you can get a smooth, flat, dry, & sound base to install your vinyl with more layers, it'll probably work fine.

Scott www.stephensfloor.com

Old 07-30-00, 06:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Sorry, one more thing, you want to use a quality plywood, with a finished side and no voids for your underlayment. Theres a product called Multi-ply (spelling?) specifically made to go under vinyl which works really well.

Scott www.stephensfloor.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: