Advice on fixing floor squeaks

Old 10-09-05, 06:01 PM
Mark1965
Visiting Guest
Advice on fixing floor squeaks

Well I'm just finishing up putting down 3/4" strip flooring in my upstairs hallway. It took a lot longer than I thought but we're really happy with the result.

Despite my floor prep and attention to putting in enough staples I still have two or three squeaks that I'd like to fix.

I saw in Home Depot they have a little floor squeak kit that consists of square head drive screws about 4" long and a tool to twist off the remaining portion of the screw. I don't like this technique for two reasons. First, I think it better to have a head or something to actually pull down the offending strip of flooring to the subfloor. Second, and this is more important, I wary of the fact that the screw will break off below the surface of the wood flooring. If it doesn't that could be a big problem.

I was thinking of using a very small diameter wood dowel. Basically drilling through the wood flooring into the subfloor and driving in the wood dowel with glue. The puncture in the top would be pretty small and easily filled with wood filler.

Another option would be wood screws, square drive with really small heads.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

Old 10-09-05, 08:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finish screws. They have a small head, you can fill with color match filler.

Old 10-09-05, 09:38 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you sure its the flooring and not the subfloor or a joist/cross brace? If its flooring, I'd use a simple finish nail driven at an angle. Try to put it in spring growth and the filler won't show.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: