SUBFLOOR FOR CERAMIC TILE FLOOR

Old 08-21-00, 01:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I WANT TO INSTALL CERAMIC TILE IN MY KITCHEN, CAN I INSTALL A SUBFLOOR OF 1/2" PLYWOOD AND LAY THE TILE OVER IT.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-00, 03:11 PM
Visiting Guest
What's under the proposed 1/2" subfloor?

Old 08-21-00, 06:45 PM
Visiting Guest
I would use 1/2" cement board. Its designed as a underlayment for tile. Having a rigid subfloor is the key to a good tile job. Deflection should be almost nonexistent and the recommendations for the thickness of the total subfloor is 1 1/4". Follow the mfgs. recommendations in putting down cement board.

Old 08-22-00, 04:25 AM
Visiting Guest
What is Cement board? I am in UK. Is this a rigid plywood or mdf type thing - or is it actually cement. (These things often have a different name over here - so its better to be sure). Thanks

Old 08-22-00, 08:22 AM
Visiting Guest
Cement board is actually cement. Common brand names (in the U.S. anyway) are Durock, Wonderboard, and Hardibacker (I'm not sure whether Hardibacker is actually cement). It's usually sold in 1/2" and 1/4" thicknesses, and in 3'x5' or 4'x8' sheets. Cement board has a rough side (for mortar) and a smooth side (for mastic). On floors, it is usually set in mortar and screwed down. On walls, it is usually screwed to the studs, often with w vapor barrier underneath (use the 1/2" on walls in place of drywall).