repairing hardwood floors with "wood dough"

Old 08-27-00, 10:34 AM
Visiting Guest
Hello - I have a question regarding "wood dough". I just removed ceramic tile from my entrance-way/dining area in order to attempt to refinish the original hardwood floor. I have used wood putty in the past on previous projects, however, I was very disappointed because the putty did not "take" the stain thus leaving me with white spots that stuck out like a sore thumb. I have 3 areas where there are 2 &1/2 to 3 inch by 1/4 to 1/2 inch gouges - Yikes! How can I repair these areas with the wood dough prior to sanding and have them not be too noticeable. Or should this not be attempted at all?? THANK YOU!

Old 08-27-00, 08:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Wood putty will not take stain like the wood will and will always be noticeable. Could you replace the damaged pieces of wood?

Old 08-29-00, 11:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice on the use of wood putty. I know that replacing the damaged wood is an option, however, it's a little more involved than I can afford right now. I'm not at all against having the look of a "worn" floor with alot of character, so I'm hoping to see what the outcome is after I sand the floor. I know that if you stain, with the use of putty, that the stain will take differently on the original vs. the treated areas. If, by a miracle, after I sand I am pleased with the outcome, could I simply seal the floor with several coats of polyurethane? Maybe this way it wouldn't be so obvious where the putty was used. P.S. I tried the colored putty and it looks like a real good match so far.

Old 08-29-00, 05:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I like character in a floor and my 100 year old pine floors have it. If you sand and like what you see, go ahead and eurthane it. Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: