1930's Hardwood Floor Squeeks!

Old 09-04-00, 12:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a 1930's home with 1 inch tongue & groove hardwood floors. This is placed over true 1" by 4" underlayment (I am not sure if this is tongue & groove also but I think it is). The underlayment is laid at a diagonal so the hardwood above could be laid either horizontal or vertical (different rooms are laid different ways).
Anyway, I have several areas that are bad squeekers and I have access to the joists & underlayment through the basement. Any ideas on how to come up from the bottom to kill the squeeks?
I have seen several products in the past that claim they can do it but I wondered if a handful of 6" L-brackets with 1 3/4" drywall screws fastened first to the joist then up through the underlayment and into the hardwood floor would be enough.
Please help, Ken.

Old 09-08-00, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Ken:

You're on the right track and I would suggest the following. Have someone stand on the squeeky area while you work from below. Drywall screw heads tend to snap off in this situation so I'd recommend a fine thread decking screw or something as strong. You may need to predill as chances are the screws won't grab the HW. I'd also suggest the use of washers. If the floor is tweaking on the floor joists try to shim it up with some cedar shakes.

Let me know if I was of any help, but I kinda doubt you've been watching this forum for answers. It's always nice to get... hey! thanks it worked...You can also say..."what a fool..that'll never work." Most folks in all sorts of forums that have the knowledge enjoy participating and helping, but the lack of followups results in finding other forums that are more interactive.

Just had to get that off my chest

Old 09-08-00, 03:45 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks for the ideas! I had not though about the deck screws and have had drywall screws break off before. Also I like the idea of predrilling, at least through the underlayment so I can grab the HW.
Why the cedar though? I though of shims but was just going to use standard shims (pine) that you get for doors and windows.
Thanks again, Ken

Old 09-09-00, 01:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

Ken:

Any type of shims will work, cedar is the first that came to mind. Thanks for replying and stop back as I'd like to hear your progess.

Old 09-09-00, 08:48 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Will do. I have many other small projects working around the house but there is one particularly vile squeeker right inside the master bedroom door that always wakes up my middle child when I step on it. I will probably work on it next weekend.
Also had a thought on squeeks in individual boards not near a joist. I want to drill a hole through underlayment then use a 1 3/4 deck screw with a washer on it to pull the single board back down. Think it will work?
Ken

[This message has been edited by FontanaHorseman (edited September 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by FontanaHorseman (edited September 09, 2000).]

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: