Saddles

Old 08-29-00, 12:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Question,

I installed a new parquet floor in the kitchen and it is now a little higher that the floor in the dining room and hall. Is there a special saddle I need to address this difference in "elevation"? If so, any ideas where i might find one?

Thanks,
hanemen

Old 08-29-00, 12:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

What's the difference between the two? Most parquets are 5/16" in thickness. If you're up against 3/4" hardwood I would suggest a "baby threshold," but it would likely be a real stoe stubber. There are other options such as remilling a baby threshold with the use of a table saw to make the transition more gradual. In this case cutting the bottom of the threshold on a 20º +- may do the trick.

Old 08-30-00, 06:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Ken,

Thanks, for the reply. The new floor height is a standard Bruce floors parquet tile high plus a little more due to the sub floor. I'm afraid a standard saddle will "rock", or break off some of the floor edges. Is there something called a T saddle, which will compensate for the difference?

Old 08-30-00, 12:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Cool

You'd need some type of overlapping transition piece and the best one I can think of to mind considering your situation is made by Harris-Tarkett. It's about 2" wide and is designed to make a smoother transition from vinyl or ceramic tile to their line of 9/16" hardwood. Last I looked harris-tarkett.com was down or they were updating so I can't provide a good pic.

Try this... floorboards.com, click on Harris-Tarkett Longstrip, then transition pieces at the bottom. You'll see a profile of the overlap reducer....hit the help me button...pictures are worth a thousand words!

Good Luck

Old 09-12-00, 11:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Ken,

Thanks for your suggestion. By seeing their layout, I got a brainstorm. I cleaned up the old sabble and then routered out the area where the floor is higher. The result was wonderful.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 09-13-00, 12:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Chris:

Glad all went well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: