Cleaning hardwood floor

Old 09-05-00, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Having removed the carpeting from my hardwood floor I need to clean it up. What is the best cleaner to use and how can I clean the floor?

Old 09-16-00, 07:11 PM
Visiting Guest
It is strange we have just done the same and I was looking for answer also

Old 09-16-00, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Post your question in Cleaning and Ladybug or Mary Moppins will probably have a good answer for you.

Old 09-17-00, 09:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Wink

Hi there - For a quick answer to your posts pop on over to the cleaning forum and scroll down to the September 9 post "General maintenance of hardwood floors". This assumes that the surface is in need of cleaning only and not any type of repair or refinishing.

Also, check with your local janitorial supply store for locally available products they would recommend. These people can be a great help on cleaning questions and will only recommend products they have readily available. In addition, most commercial products are quite economical to use. I use them all the time.

Best - Ladybug/Cleaning forum

Old 09-19-00, 07:31 PM
Visiting Guest
You must first determine what type of finish is on the hardwood. If you are not sure if you have a urethane finish, test in an inconspicuous area. If you apply a small amount of paint remover to the floor a urethane finish will bubble, a penetrating finish will not. If you have urethane, then you need to use a pH neutral cleaner for hardwood floors. You should use a half-dry damp mop for urethane floors. Mop and dip mop into clean water, wring as dry as you can and mop again. Do a small section at a time and towel dry as you go to prevent overwetting. Wood does not like water. Polyurethane floors should not be waxed.
If the finish is not urethane, you have a sealed & waxed floor. Do not mop. Not even with a slightly damp mop. Paint remover will dissolve the sealer and a lighter area will show when wiped away. Always test in inconspicuous area. Wax stripper or ammonia will soften and whiten a waxed surface. What you need to use is a cleaner/wax especially made for sealed/waxed hardwood floors. Check your local home center.
Patricia Fisher @ www.twelvepole.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: