Concrete Basement Floor

Old 09-19-00, 11:24 AM
Visiting Guest
My circa-1950's home has a half-basement, half integral garage. In the half-basement, the previous (and original) owners had put down what I can only suspect is linoleum directly onto the concrete sub-floor. The 12" square tiles seem to be much harder than the linoleum tiles of today. My belief is that they have become hard and brittle with age because a good majority of them are becoming loose and cracking apart. My question (if appropriate for this forum category) is: if I were to pull up all the remaining tiles, can I put down a similar type of linoleum tile floor and if so, what preparation or mentod of application can be suggested to prevent this type of problem from occurring in the future (if it can be prevented at all)? Is there a better solution to covering a floor of this type? The area is not what you would call semi-finished: painted concrete block walls, exposed rafters, etc. However, the area is used for storage, laundry, pseudo-workshop and exercise area so I would like to maintain a respectable floor covering. Any and all ideas are greatly welcomed. Thanks!

Old 09-19-00, 12:21 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't have any answers, but have another question you should ask: Is there asbestos in this flooring?

Old 09-19-00, 04:33 PM
Visiting Guest
John -

Excellant question. To be perfectly honest, I have no idea nor would I even know how to tell if there was an asbestos content in 50-year old tile flooring! Suggestions on how to find out?

Thanks!

Old 09-19-00, 07:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Look in your yellow pages under Asbestos. Call someone who tests.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: