Need hardwood floor help

Old 09-14-00, 01:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Just purchased house. Don't know what kind of finish is on floors. I assume it's wax because if you drip water on it, it turns white. Can anyone tell me how to clean/what to use on them? The dog sometimes drools when he pants, so I have "drool spots" I need to remove. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 09-19-00, 07:48 PM
Visiting Guest
You need to do a test in an inconspicuous place. Paint remover will bubble on polyurethane and on a sealed/wax surface it will not. Polyurethan floors should never be waxed. I hope they did not. With polyurethane finish you need to damp mop with a nearly dry mop using a pH neutral cleaner or a commercial cleaner specific for polyurethane floors. Towel dry a section at a time as you go. If you have sealed/waxed finish, then you need to buy a cleaner/wax for sealed/waxed floors. It's smelly and you will need to open windows. Never damp mop a sealed/waxed finish. Paint remover on sealed waxed floors will dissolve sealer and a lighter area will show when wiped away. Wax stripper or ammonia will soften and whiten a waxed surface. You might have a sealed/waxed finish if you live in an older home and water/dog drool leave a milky look.
You will need to purchase a cleaner/wax specific for sealed/waxed finish.
Patricia Fisher @ www.twelvepole.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: