Laminate flooring on sloped floor

Old 10-22-00, 03:42 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

Thanks for your replies on my previous postings. I am putting this up as a repost as I am hoping for an answer.

Now that I have decided not to go with ceramic tiles on my floor, I have another question.

As I mentioned previously, the floor in my kitchen is sloped, about 1 1/4" a continuous slope from one end to the other. Do you think that I can put laminate flooring in. Home Depot says I can, but I think that it may not be possible. You have a gap between the wall and the flooring, so if it slopes down, won't the laminate flooring over time just squish down into the lower sloped end and then you have popping laminate floors or glue breaking up or something like that?

Pls let me know before I spend $$$ on this type of flooring.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-00, 10:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I see no problem at all, even if the floor slides over which I think it won't. But it reminds me of a bad camping trip in which I had to pitch the tent on a slope.

Old 10-23-00, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the response John,

So you don't think that with time, the laminate flooring won't shift down until you have a huge gap b/w the wall and the laminate on the top?

Old 10-23-00, 04:05 PM
Visiting Guest
No. I don't think that will happen. The slope is too small, and friction too great.

Old 10-23-00, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
If the slope is just a matter of the floor being unlevel, it shouldn't make a difference. But if the floor is not flat it could make a big difference. You don't want any steep humps or dips in the floor.

Scott Stephens www.stephensfloor.com