hardwood over ceramic tle

Old 10-21-00, 03:13 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Can prefinished glue down hardwood be installed over ceramic? I am thinking yes will a thin coat of underlayment (Henry's?)
Any takers?

Old 10-21-00, 04:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Ronnie,

Talking about covering ceramic tile with a lesser product is blasphemy! Just kidding.

Yes, you can glue your stuff directly to the tile. Just make sure the tile is clean. De-grease it with amonia and rinse thoroughly. Let it dry completely.

I don't think you'll need the underlayment with a wood floor -- the wood will easily bridge the grout joints. You definitely would need it with linoleum or vinyl tiles.

I'm not a wood floor guy, but I would use the expensive floor mastic that also forms a moisture barrier. This stuff will never get brittle and come loose, as do other mastic type products.

Lots of luck,

John

Old 10-22-00, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

John:

Being a hardwood guy I would never consider such a method but if the DIY'r wants to try, I'd say have at it. But I'd be very leary of how well the tile is adhered to the subfloor. I've been involved in a half dozen gluedown engineered wood floors over terrazzo and the best method I've found is to scour the floor with 3 1/2 grit paper, where a good bond will form with both the old and new.

I'd have to be concerned with the grout joints as well as they may bridge some, but what about the parallel grout lines that run the same direction of the new flooring? If one was to load up on a bunch of mastic it may work.

As an installer who depends on a successful installation and warranty I'd have to suggest the following..

1- Consider a floating engineered or laminate over the tile..IF the tile is solid to the subfloor. May need prep in consideration of high and low spots.

2- Remove the tile and go from there.

Old 10-25-00, 12:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I would have to agree with Ken, remove the tile from the floor. It would be towards your advantage because there would be know guess work here. I am an Architect and not an installer the first thing you should consider is spend the weekend removing the the existing tile from the floor and hire a contractor to do your hardwood floors. I am saying this because your time is money and any mistakes that you do now would come back and hunt you. Do it right the first time around you will have less grief. Good luck on your design.

Old 10-25-00, 04:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I am indeed humbled, and in future I will stick to what I know about.

But hey, it seemed like a good idea.

Sorry,

John

Old 10-30-00, 08:36 PM
Visiting Guest
I have to say that i really did enjoy reading this. Thanks guys for the laughter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: