Particle Board OK under Wood Floor?

Old 10-21-05, 12:02 PM
sgklein
Visiting Guest
Particle Board OK under Wood Floor?

Installing 3/4" solid hardwood. Currently the floor is: 1/2" plywood with 5/8" underlayment on top(OSB? Don't know what it is...looks like sawdust glued together, best description I can give) It was orignally used under carpet.

What is the best way to do this? Should I rip out the underlayment and put 1/4 plywood down on top of the 1/2"? Or would it be ok to put the 1/4" plywood on top of the underlayment? I'm not really concerned about height since this is a sunken room.

Also, is Rosin paper the preferred product to lay underneath the hardwood? There is a basement underneath the room, so moisture shouldn't be a real problem, but there is no central air, live in the Northeast on top of a mountain).

Old 10-21-05, 12:55 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sgklein
Installing 3/4" solid hardwood. Currently the floor is: 1/2" plywood with 5/8" underlayment on top(OSB? Don't know what it is...looks like sawdust glued together, best description I can give) It was orignally used under carpet.

What is the best way to do this? Should I rip out the underlayment and put 1/4 plywood down on top of the 1/2"? Or would it be ok to put the 1/4" plywood on top of the underlayment? I'm not really concerned about height since this is a sunken room.

Also, is Rosin paper the preferred product to lay underneath the hardwood? There is a basement underneath the room, so moisture shouldn't be a real problem, but there is no central air, live in the Northeast on top of a mountain).
Particle board is never ok under hardwood. What you describe is particle board, not osb.You would need to remove it and install 1/4" (at least) as you mention.
Usually used is either 15# felt paper or kraft paper which has a layer of oil sandwiched between paper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: