Starting Point For Hardwood Flooring

Old 11-19-00, 08:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am laying pre-finished 3.25" hardwood flooring. The wall I would like to start from has a 5'wide x 4'deep inset for a computer table. I would like to have the full 3.25" piece on this main wall.

Should I start from in there and try to match up with my main wall when i get out to that wall or start from my main wall and use a double width tongue later ahd work my way back into this space. ( This is my first time laying hardwood so pleaes excuse me if I am not using the correct lingo).

If I use a double with tongue this means the two pieces I join will not be nailed through thr tongue. Is this OK? I would try & use a Router to make this tongue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tks

Old 11-19-00, 09:24 AM
Visiting Guest
Start with the main wall, not with the inset -- I don't see why you'd care if there is a full board against the wall behind the computer table.

You don't need to use a router at all here. Buy a slip tongue and glue it into the groove to make a tongue on the other side. After the glue dries, nail through it. This process is very easy. You are not correct about having a joint that will not be nailed.

Don't make this job harder than it is. It's really all pretty easy.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-00, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by John Nelson:
Start with the main wall, not with the inset -- I don't see why you'd care if there is a full board against the wall behind the computer table.

You don't need to use a router at all here. Buy a slip tongue and glue it into the groove to make a tongue on the other side. After the glue dries, nail through it. This process is very easy. You are not correct about having a joint that will not be nailed.

Don't make this job harder than it is. It's really all pretty easy.

Good luck.
<HR>

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: